I’m glad you’re studying child abuse as part of your school work. It’s an issue that’s so important but most people would rather not think about it, let alone study it. Hopefully you will find some of what I’ve provided on my website helpful.
Unfortunately, I do not have enough time to share everything I do know via this website. Nor am I an expert in everything related to child abuse. But I can point you to additional resources that may have what you’re seeking, in cases where my site doesn’t.
Frequently Asked Questions
Students commonly email me to ask the questions below. For each one, I have one or more links to excellent resources on that issue, most from United States government’s Child Welfare Information Gateway.
What are the (main) causes of child abuse?
What are the signs and symptoms of child abuse?
What are the effects of child abuse and neglect on children?
- Impact of Abuse and Neglect
- Treatment for Abused and Neglected Children: Infancy to Age 18 – PDF Version
- Long-term Effects of Child Sexual Abuse
- Acts of Omission: An Overview of Child Neglect
- See also my Consequences of Abuse, if you missed it
How are alcohol and substance abuse related to child abuse?
How can we prevent child abuse?