Services include assessment of clients, report/declaration writing, and trial testimony. With over 10 years of experience, capital cases are a specialty.
I am very good at communicating expert knowledge and opinions in written and spoken language that is lucid and compelling to attorneys, judges and jury members. References are available upon request.
Talks and Trainings
As a highly engaging and interactive presenter, I communicate very effectively with therapists and other professionals who serve or encounter traumatized people in their work, including police officers, victim advocates, attorneys, university administrators and commanding officers in the military.
The feedback I get includes words and phrases like 'captivating,' 'highly effective,' 'enlightening,' 'extremely helpful' and 'transformative.' References are available upon request.
I give talks and training on a variety of topics, mostly related to sexual assault and child abuse trauma, including:
- The neurobiology of trauma and sexual assault. That is, how brain responses to sexual assault shape victims’ experiences, behaviors and memories, and the implications for eliciting accurate memories and testimony. To see how I present on this, here’s a video of a 2-hour training
- The unique experiences and challenges of traumatized men, especially men with histories of childhood sexual abuse or adult sexual assault, and the implications for outreach and providing treatment.
- Brain processes involved in mindfulness, meditation and other contemplative practices, and how they can benefit therapists and their clients. (For example, annual 5-day program at Kripalu.)
All talks and training incorporate an engaging mix lectures, video and
other media, and when time permits, discussion and activities that promote experiential learning.
I work with male and female adults (18 or older), and specialize in childhood abuse, sexual assault and other traumas.
Currently I provide time-limited telephone or Skype consultation. That is, I offer knowledge, insights, and interventions that either (a) help people to find good local treatment or (b) briefly complement their ongoing therapy (in cooperation with their therapist). These services do not require living anywhere in particular or meeting with me in person (international Skype calls are an option).
My clinical consultation clients include people from early to later stages of healing, who are seeking help with a variety of issues, including:
- Understanding their unique needs and treatment options
- Emotion awareness and regulation skills
- Relationship difficulties
- Traumatic memories
- Safely engaging in meditation, yoga and other contemplative practices
I draw on many theories and methods of treatment, including the 'stage model' of trauma treatment, mindfulness-based and other contemplative approaches, cognitive-behavioral interventions, and the Internal Family Systems Model (IFS). All of my theoretical understandings and treatment approaches are informed by wide-ranging knowledge of treatment and scientific advances, including my own research.